Monday, October 01, 2007

Pink for October

You might have noticed that I changed my blog colors today to be shades of pink.

October is breast cancer awareness month and I am delighted to join the Pink for October initiative. This is a message that is very close to my heart. As I have mentioned before, my mother died when I was 16 years old. What I didn't say was that she had breast cancer -- twice. The first time, she was 29 years-old (my current age) and pregnant with me. She had a mastectomy and luckily didn't require any further treatment. Growing up I always knew that my mom had had cancer, but it didn't seem like a big deal. I wasn't around for it and she obviously survived it, so it wasn't that scary.

Every year she would go in for a mammogram to make sure it didn't come back. Then right before Christmas in 1993, the annual mammogram found a lump in her remaining breast. She had another mastectomy and this time required chemotherapy and radiation therapy. She ultimately lost her battle with cancer one year later on October 7, 1994.

My mother always insisted that I not live my life in fear of cancer. The best we can do is be tested as recommended and then deal with it if it happens.

Anyway, that's my story. Let's look at things you can do to help.
  1. First of all, if you are over 40 or have a family history please get a mammogram. I've had one done annually since the age of 25 and they aren't that bad.
  2. Look into this new test that can detect abnormal cells 7 years before a mammogram can. I just found out about this and have to wait 6 months after I stop breast feeding before I can have it done, but I will definitely be there on 6 month plus one day.
  3. Check out the new Think Pink stamp set from My Favorite Things. They are donating 50% of the retail price to breast cancer research.
  4. Support my friend, Kim Howard, in her 3-day walk fund-raising effort. My MIL and SIL did the 3-day this August in Boston and it was amazing.
  5. If you have a blog, go pink and spread the word!

5 comments:

Jess said...

I am so sorry that your mom lost her battle with cancer...that is very sad. This is an excellent post with alot of important information...kudos to you!

Basement Stamper said...

Stef: Thank you for the promotion and I'm so sorry to hear about your Mother. This is a cause that is much closer to your heart than I ever knew!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your story - and the link to the HALO test. Breast cancer runs in my family and even though I am only 31, it is never too soon to start screening.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your reminders and sharing your story. I'm so sorry about your mom. I lost mine too, a year ago to cancer. She, too had it twice. I added a "go pink" msg to my blog yesterday but think I'll amend it to remind women to get their mammograms! Thanks!
Patty
www.pattystamps.com

Corie said...

I am so sorry about your loss. I know the pain never goes away.

I guess you have been PINK for a long time. Thanks for posting all the info. This is such a great cause.